I decided to remove the wall which separated the kitchen and dining room.
I also decided to remove the ceiling and wall which separated two small rooms on the second floor.
This is the result of one ceiling and two walls removed….and bagged.
My rooftop view. I started to remove the five layers of flat roof and was called back to work. So I hired a roofer to finish the job.
I chose to start on the bathroom and kitchen at the same time. I replaced the sheetrock, plumbing, and electric in both rooms, planning through three separate phases to streamline the process.
At this point, the majority of plumbing drain pipes are in place. I chose to start on the non-structural steel soffits, in the kitchen area and gain a better perspective of what space I have to work with.
I was concerned with the structural integrity of the bedroom ceiling. So I decided to shore up the ceiling and insulate. I was afraid of the cold temperatures affecting the bathroom tiles which needed to be set. I used a combination of steel track and wood studs to secure new material to old work and parting walls.
All work and no play makes Lucky upset, so Rachel and I drive him to the park where he runs and plays and interacts with other dogs and humans.
The weather did change before expected and it was necessary to finish the bedroom ceiling before the bathroom tiles were set.
The tile work turned out great. Thanks to the advice of my Uncle Adi, (a retired tile setter) I was guided with professional knowledge.
Closer to moving in. The bathroom is turning out to be quite nice.
the living room floor required some adjustment before sanding. I had to remove half of the quarter inch top nail oak and replace it with the former dining room floor material.
The subfloor needed repair before I lay down the bamboo floor. I also finished the exterior wall with insulation. I was tempted to leave the brick finish, but the wall was ice cold and I would sacrifice a great deal of cabinet space.
The subway tiles are in and the cabinets were delivered.
I lucked out on the soffit to corner cabinet measurement. Ikea’s product information can also be a puzzle.
I hired a heating and air contractor to install the furnace and condenser. My uncle Clyde (a retired master of HVAC,/ mayor of Edgewater, MD/ guru of love, filled me in on all the necessary requirements for the square footage and design of the house.
I managed to max out the panel. I left room for upgrading to a higher amperage, but I doubt this house will need it.
*Update* I’ve decided to purchase an electric car in the near future.
After the removal of 4,384 carpet staples versus the sage advice of my neighbor and friend Eric who suggested that I install a new one, I decided that it might have been a better idea to replace the entire staircase. However after the thought, the final product is now exceptional…exceptionally back breaking.
Sanding the pine floor was an adventure. I plan to apply a dark stain and lots of polyurethane.